Thursday, October 16, 2008

My opening thoughts...



Well, where to begin. First I will start with my morning. It was mid morning and I called the democratic headquarters in my city of Murrieta. I asked if they had any Obama yard signs. I wanted to display my support for Obama for many reasons.

One, I think he is the best candidate and his views match what I feel this nation needs.

Two, I cannot believe the lack of support in my town. Everywhere I go, I see McCain signs; they are in yards, on cars, etc. After watching last night's debate, I oppose him even more. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he is a really nice guy. He is just not the guy I choose for the job at hand.

So back to my morning....

I enter the democratic headquarters to pick up the signs. There were only two left. The office was filled with various signs. Up against the wall was a stack of No on 8 signs. If you live in California, you know about Proposition 8. A yes on 8 vote will only make marriage between a man and a woman legal. I am not gay. Nobody in my family is gay. But here is the deal. Why is the government getting so involved in the personal lives of our citizens? Here is a comment I made to another blog:

"Okay so what is with these people being concerned that gay marriage is taught in schools. As a former 1st grade teacher and a wife of a teacher, we both know that this will not be the case. Supporters of prop 8 say that teachers will be mandated to teach about gay marriage. What are they talking about? Math, science, and literacy are the core subjects that are taught in the classroom because of all of the testing that is required of our schools. California Teachers are in support of voting NO on prop 8 because they know the truth. I hope people choose, as my husband and I have, to raise their children as tolerant and peaceful individuals. What if you couldn't marry the one you love? How insulting. Government is too involved in our citizen's personal lives. And by the way, how is this about "selfish sexual perversion?" Give me a break. I have taught children as young as four and I have seen certain children grow up to be gay. I knew they would be when they were young. Did they choose a life of discrimination? No, this is WHO they are. It is not about choices. This is about LOVE not about SEX. I agree VOTE NO ON 8!"

And to add to that it is about EQUALITY. So I got my signs and I can't wait to display them. I am against the norm in this town and proud of it.

I met a gay man this morning. We began talking about Prop 8 and he said that he and his partner want to get married but are holding off for the fear that their marriage would be overturned. Tears began to well up in my eyes as emotions overtook me. What if my marriage to my husband was overturned? I can't imagine how this feels to the man I met today and to the many others who have made the lifelong commitment of marriage to their partners since it became legal in California.

Needless to say I am passionate about this election and changing the direction that our country has taken.

Vote for change. Vote for Barack Obama. Vote NO on prop 8.







No comments: